Flood InsuranceIf flooding is a possibility in your community, it’s important to make sure you’re protected. Remember, your homeowner’s policy does not cover flood damage. You must purchase a separate policy.

It’s a good idea to contact our agency to start the process as soon as you can because most flood insurance policies have at least a 30-day waiting period before they take effect.   To help you protect your residence or commercial building,

Flood insurance for your home or business is also available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The program was created to help provide a means for property owners to financially protect themselves.


All types of homes including condos are eligible for flood insurance. You can even purchase flood insurance to protect your possessions if you rent your home.

But while most homeowners insurance is set up to get your home and belongings back to their pre-loss states, flood insurance is designed to simply get you back on your feet — it’s not as comprehensive as most homeowners policies.

Premium costs for residential properties vary depending on coverage, which is available for your building, contents or both. For instance, flood insurance usually covers washers and dryers, food freezers and the food inside. Water tanks, oil tanks, furnaces, stairways, unpainted drywall, sheet rock walls and ceilings are generally covered as well.

More Information

For more on flood prevention and the NFIP, visit FEMA online at www.fema.gov or call the NFIP at 1-800-Call-Flood (1-800-225-5356). The FEMA Web site features information about insurance coverage and flood safety.

If you don’t have coverage, or if you’re not sure if you have enough, contact our agency. We can help determine the flood risk level for your home and property and advise you on the appropriate level of insurance protection.