Over the next few days, the National Weather Service is forecasting severe weather conditions in our area. Please take this time to remind your clients of potential claim hazards that can be avoided with these precautions:
- Clean your gutters and downspouts to prevent ice from forming in them.
- Insulate walls and attics, and caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Repair roof leaks and remove tree branches that could become weighted down with ice or snow and fall on your house or your neighbor’s house.
- Spray an ice repellent on steps and walks before freezing weather arrives.
- If you have a fireplace, keep the flue closed when you’re not using it.
- During cold spells, keep cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes, particularly those in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through unheated or unprotected spaces.
- If your house will be unattended during cold periods, consider draining the water system.
- Make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.